Baptisms

Baptisms

Adventures in Eating out.
"If you haven't tried it yet, try it now!"

Friday, March 16, 2012

Some days you just need to Indulge.

 There are many burger joints around the Phoenix Valley.  Most of them being greasy fast food chains, that give you little to no options on how it is made.  This leaves few if any choices to the consumer that likes their burger a particular way or those that want to be more creative in how their burger could taste.  Myself, I don't like to go to chain restaurants for a plain "run-of-the-mill" burger.  I finally found a place where I can really "Indulge" my taste buds.  It is called "Indulge Burgers" off Scottsdale Road and Shea.  We were drawn to them when we saw an "Adult Peanut Butter Sandwich" on their menu.  With our curiosity piqued,  we asked a couple of friends to join us in exploring this odd menu choice.  It turns out since they live in the area, they had been there several times before.  Shortly after we sat down, we were excited to learn that they serve Coke products.  Which always starts a restaurant off on my good side.  We had arrived earlier than our friends so opted to start with an appetizer of Cheddar fries while we waited for them.  The fries were freshly cut and cooked to perfection with just enough crisp.  It was topped with a mild cheddar cheese which actually made the fries taste a little bland.  The next time I go I think I am going to opt for the chili cheese fries, maybe that will give it a little more oomph.

The menu gives you two options for ordering.  You can either choose signature burgers that come with their choice of toppings OR you can choose to build your own.  Build your own burger is not as easy as it would seem.  There are actually five separate steps you need to complete to create your ultimate fantasy burger.   These include choosing your meat, your bun, one cheese, one sauce and four regular toppings.  Of course they also have the option of indulgent toppings at an extra cost if you so desire.

The first burger on our list was Jerry's favorite, a Kobe beef burger.  This is a Kobe beef patty that is cooked to order.  It comes as a signature order including cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle and red relish.  It is also the only one on the menu that comes with a side of fries.  All the other burgers require that you order sides at an extra cost.


 Maria ordered from the special "Gluten-free" menu.  She also had the choice of a build your own burger and had a difficult time choosing from all the options.  She opted for the turkey burger as a "Burger salad" rather than on a bun with honey barbecue sauce.  For her toppings she included grilled mushrooms, a dill pickle, and red onion. 
Since her entree did not include fries she order it on the side because finding gluten free fries is next to impossible.


Next is Patti's turn.  She decided to go with the artsy-fartsy create your own masterpiece that is equal only to DaVinci.  However, since she also had a difficult time making decisions, she had to ask for my expertise on various flavors.  She wanted to create a "Thai" flavor chicken sandwich.  So she started with a wheat bun for her first choice, then added chicken and swiss cheese.  For her toppings she chose the sprouts, carrot strings, red onion and tomato.  The Bangkok peanut sauce was the "piece de resistance" but for good measure she also added an extra side of peanut butter.  How often do you get to choose peanut butter to go on your burger?  But really the peanut sauce is what really made the sandwich.

After everyone ordered their sandwiches, the one thing that popped into my mind sat there at the top of menu.  It was one word "Indulge".  So I did.  Curiosity got the best of me so I started off with the Adult Peanut Butter Sandwich.  That's right, I think there should be an age restriction for eating this sandwich.  You need to be an adult to understand the effects of how many calories must be in this sandwich.  With all due respect to Elvis, as the menu says "The King would be proud" of this one.  This consists of creamy peanut butter, banana, bacon and onion strings on a multi-grain bread that is toasted.  As soon as you take the first bite, you whisper to the sandwich "where have you been all my life".  Everybody knows that peanut butter and banana compliment each other, but when you add the salty bacon and the crispy fried onion strings, you have found heaven.

For my second indulgence, I tried the "Vesuvius Volcanic" burger.  It comes with lettuce, tomato and onion.  The unique quality of this burger comes in the patty itself.  Two patties cooked medium well stuffed with American cheese.  I'm not a big fan of medium well burgers because they normally come out dry and crumbly.  But I took one bite of this one and an explosion of flavor and cheese burst from it's center.  At first it was extremely hot, temperature wise, but the juicy flavors kept me going back for more.  To help explain how this works in your mouth, I've included the video.  When I was finished, I had definitely felt "overindulged".  I really enjoyed the menu, because I could return often and have something different every time.  But I must say my highlight was the Adult Peanut butter sandwich.  So if you haven't indulged yet, try it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment