Baptisms

Baptisms

Adventures in Eating out.
"If you haven't tried it yet, try it now!"

Friday, April 13, 2012

Authentic Peruvian

 On Fun Frank Friday as you know, I enjoy going to different restaurants.  The ones I enjoy more than any others are the ones with truly authentic cuisine.  You may ask how can you tell if it is authentic or not?  One of the ways you can tell is by looking up at the TV screen playing in the restaurant.  If the program playing matches the ethnic food being offered that is a good indication that the employees prefer that channel.  It also is a good indication that it would be appropriate entertainment for the clientele they intend to serve.  For an example, when we went to CGJ Korean BBQ, 75% of the dining room was Korean and the TV screen showed a Korean game show.  This week we are over in Chandler at the Tumi Fine Peruvian Cuisine.  This is a small "mom and pop" authentic restaurant.  There were approximately 9 tables available inside with an international Spanish program playing in the background.  When we arrived, around 5:30 pm, the place was already half-full, by the time we left there were people sitting outside as well as people waiting to get a seat inside.  I looked over the menu at the drink options and saw soft drinks but also saw a Coca-Cola sign behind the counter.  So of course I decided to order a Coke without asking what the options were.  This was a mistake, I did not know that there was an option to have what they call "Inca Kola" (apparently a common Peruvian soft drink) so when  you do go to Tumi, try the Inca Kola and let me know how it is.  As we were trying to decide what we were going to eat, our waitress brought out a basket of rolls and a small dish with two dipping sauces and some toasted corn kernels. 
Bread is bread and there is not too much to say about that.  But the dipping sauce, somewhat similar to salsa, is where they excel.  The two sauces were very similar in ingredients with the main difference being that one was made with a green chili base and the other a red chili base.  Both bring forth a lime tang with the taste of cilantro which was not overpowering which I enjoyed as I tend to not be a big cilantro fan.  The red chili base had more of a spicy kick so if you like it hot and spicy this is the one for you.  I don't eat corn kernels very often, I mostly find them at the bottom of my popcorn bucket at the movies.  But I did enjoy this fun little munchie.  It was toasted and lightly salted and surprisingly addictive.  You can't just eat one.
For an appetizer, my first choice was the marinated beef heart on a skewer.  Unfortunately our server informed me that is was unavailable at this time.  So we went with something new and something fun.  I have never tried fried yucca before.  This is deep fried yucca served with a side of huancaina sauce.  The yucca is not a plant I associate with eating.  The only encounters I have had with yuccas in the past were when they stabbed me in the shins as I walked by them. To my surprise, it has a similar taste and texture of a fried potato (aka "steak fries").  The sauce is a creamy cheese sauce that reminded me more of mayo than a cheese.  The sauce was smooth with a hint of yellow chili, this gave it more of a mustard taste rather than a chili spice kick.  These went quickly and they also went great with the dipping sauce that came with the bread.

 We noticed that they had an appetizer that we have enjoyed in the past, fried plantains.  I enjoyed Tumi's take on the dish much more because the fruit was thicker and meatier than those I've eaten else where.  The outside of the plantain was crisp while the inside was soft and sweet.  It was delicious!







Our friend, Nanette, decided to order the "Picante a lo Tumi".  This dish includes shrimp, scallops and red bell peppers served in a white wine cream sauce they call Aji Amarillo.  A side of jasmine rice accompanied it.  This was a delicious dish.  With the mixture of scallops, shrimp and the white wine sauce you can never go wrong.  These flavors compliment each other and it is easy to snarf the whole thing down before you realize it.

Patti ordered the Saltado Tumi from the "specialties" section of the menu.  It included strips of beef tenderloin and shrimp sauteed with onions, tomato and a cilantro mignonette all on top of a french fries.  The beef was chewy but flavorful.  She really loved the sauce, the mixture of cilantro and onion was like a really well done barbecue marinade.  She was surprised that the sweet taste of the cooked tomatoes went perfectly with the marinade.  There weren't many shrimp pieces included in the dish but the ones she shared with me did have a firm full taste and were not overcooked.

I was looking for the out of the ordinary type of dish.  So when I saw the words "eggs sunny side up" as part of a dinner entree, it intrigued me.  I did also briefly consider the "cau cau" or cow tripe entree but instead opted for the "Lomo a Caballo".  Beef loin strips sauteed with onions, tomatoes and cilantro mignonette on top of a bed of french fries and crowned with two eggs sunny side up.  All with a side of Peruvian rice and fried plantains.  The beef loin strips were a little tough but when included with the sauteed vegetables and mignonette, it was extremely tasty.  The best was to describe the mignonette would be a cilantro barbecue marinade mixed with soy sauce.  I know my description does not really do it justice.  It truly is something you just need to try yourself.  The eggs on top complimented the entire meal and it would not have been the same without it.  All this on top of a bed of french fried potatoes.  So when you add in the flavor of the rice and the plantains you can tell this had comfort food written all over it.

 Since we were celebrating Nanette's birthday, of course we decided we must have dessert.  Nanette chose the flan.  This was a large slice that was smooth and creamy with a toasted almond flavor topped with caramel sauce.




Patti had the Peruvian Ice Cream.  It was a rich creamy vanilla flavor topped with whipped cream and drizzled with caramel sauce.  Patti says of all three we tried, hers was the best!

I chose the Peruvian donuts.  This is deep fried Peruvian dough covered with maple syrup.   This dessert can be sticky but was crunchy on the outside and a fluffy light dough inside.  I think my dessert was the best!  All in all the flavor was fun, the texture was great and it also made for great table conversation.  It works well as a spyglass for a donut pirate.

 Remember that dinner needs to be fun and enjoyable.  Don't let others rule your taste buds.  So if you haven't tried Peruvian cuisine, try it now!


P.S.  My co-worker, Gordy suggested that I take donations to support my eating adventures.  So if you would like to be featured on "Fun Frank Friday", and have a restaurant that has not previously been featured, I would love for you to buy me dinner.

1 comment:

  1. Frank, Frank, Frank....This all sounds good except for ONE statement... "Bread is bread"????? Oh you poor soul. How can you say bread is bread? Would you say that if they brought you a stale piece of Wonder bread versus a fresh warm mini-loaf of nine grain? I have been to many places where I have been tempted to leave the momment I bite into what they call bread. The bread is the heart and soul of the entire meal. There are places I go to just for the bread. When you can tell that the bread basket is fresh instead of recycled from an earlier table, it makes a huge differance. You can call me a bread snob if you want, and you can say I only say that because I work for Panera, but please don't say "bread is bread".

    ReplyDelete