Baptisms

Baptisms

Adventures in Eating out.
"If you haven't tried it yet, try it now!"

Monday, May 7, 2012

Peace and Quiet

For as long as I could remember, I have been vacationing at our Kasten family summer cottage on Michigan's largest southern inland lake near Coloma.    The cottage began as a black powder photography studio and was renovated into living quarters in 1907.  This time of year, I like to come up before everyone else and open the cottage for the summer season.  This is the time when it is the most quiet.  I am able to watch the ducks float by and make friends with frogs and squirrels (neither of which Patti would allow me to bring back home).

Even on vacation, eating doesn't take a holiday.  You will eventually have to eat a meal somewhere and somehow.  Most people who are traveling alone, may have a difficult time going to a restaurant by themselves.  But this is an experience that I believe everyone should at least try, because if you aren't comfortable with yourself then no one else will be comfortable with you.  Most people believe that eating is a social experience and I must agree as it is much more enjoyable in social settings. But when faced with being alone, you may find yourself stepping out of your comfort zone to meet new people.  This is also an excellent time to step out of your comfort zone and try new foods.

So I found myself in St. Joseph, Michigan at a restaurant located half a mile east of Lake Michigan.  I arrived at Clementine's around 11 am on a Monday and asked for booth next to the window.  The place was already about 50% full but I was lucky to get a view of the St. Joe river.  Though I was lacking a conversational partner, I was quite entertained by watching the magnificent boats heading towards Lake Michigan along the river.  My waitress came over and we got into a small conversation about the merits of Coke versus Pepsi.  It took only a little bit of convincing before she did agree with me that Coke was the better product but unfortunately this establishment served only Pepsi.  So of course I ordered a lemonade.

After she returned with my drink, I asked for the usual run-down of what were her recommendations for appetizers and entrees.  For the appetizer, she suggested the Clem's Homemade Onion rings served on a wooden peg.  This was one of the most frequently ordered appetizers but she said that her personal favorite was the New Zealand Green Lip Mussels.  I have eaten mussels in the past but I am pretty sure that I have not had mussels with "green lips" before.  My waitress returned with a large plate of the mussels sautéed with spinach and onions in a rich garlic butter and sprinkled on top with Parmesan cheese.  Underneath the green of the spinach, were about half a dozen mussels on the half-shell.  The full flavor of the garlic and butter with the accompaniment of the spinach and mussels made for a mouth-watering, succulent dish.  One flavor did not overpower the other.  The fibers of the spinach with the tender mussels made my mouth crave the excellent texture sensation until it was quickly devoured. 

For my entree, the waitress had suggested the Mess of Lake Perch.  I told her that I was leaning towards the baby back ribs and was curious on how close they were to Chicago style.  She informed me that of course I could get both.  Why choose?  I'm on vacation and had no one to argue that point.  So I did.  I got the Sweet Baby Ray's ribs, a hickory smoked slab of baby back ribs with a zesty barbecue sauce.  The ribs were tender, well smoked and served with the wet sauce.  To give you an idea, this is Chicago style ribs in comparison to other styles that would be described as a dry rub.  Sides of fries and coleslaw completed the dish.  The coleslaw reminded me of KFC coleslaw.  I don't know if they just make it the same way or get it from the same place but it is still very delicious.  It was also served with a slice of garlic toast that was crunchy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.  A nice strong garlic taste topped with a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese.

Along with that entree, I wanted to try the Perch.  Rather than order two full entrees, I chose instead to do what they call "Ante up" (aka "ala carte").  This addition included 5 pieces of mouthwatering Perch.  The fish was prepared with a light dusting of seasoning and pan-fried.  Of course served with a side of tarter sauce.  The outside frying left a rougher texture but it was not crunchy.  This allowed the fish to have a white, flaky center without needing to be deep fried.  Though I did try their tarter sauce, I preferred to use it on the fries because the fish didn't need any of the extra flavor.

This whole time the waitress was extremely sociable and helpful with my dining experience.  She offered the dessert menu but because I was so full I had to decline.  Going out to eat by yourself my seem like a scary or unpleasant experience.  But if you are not afraid to be with yourself, you may be surprised on how friendly others can be.  So if you haven't tried New Zealand Green Lip Mussels, try it now.




No comments:

Post a Comment